Sant’Anna d’ Alfaedo spreads over the north western side of the Plateau of Lessinia and it is part of the Valpolicella valley, 20 miles far from Verona. It covers an area of 17 square miles; lies 0.629 mile above sea level and has about 2450 inhabitants. Its hamlets are: Ronconi, Fosse, Giare, Cerna and Ceredo. It borders with Ala and Avio, Dolcè, Erbezzo and Fumane, Grezzana, Marano di Valpolicella and Negrar.
The coat of arms of Sant’Anna d’Alfaedo represents three mountains: Corno d’Aquilio, Cornetto and Corno Mozzo, which overlook the whole area.
The name “Sant’Anna d’Alfaedo” refers to the location of Sant’Anna in the land of Faedo and it probably derives from the latin word “fagetum” (beech) because of the presence, in the past, of thick beech woods. In the folk tradition, the inhabitants are called pundits, meaning learned and important people.
Since 1990 it has been part of the Natural Park of Lessinia, established by the Veneto region with the aim of preserving and increasing the value of the nature and landscape which are typical of this area.
The rocks cover a period of time starting from the Giurassic and ending with the Cretaceus. In the area there are caves from which a lot of fossils of exceptional importance have been -and are still- extracted.
The first evidence of human presence in the site dates back to the Lower Paleolithic; but it is thanks to the high altitude villages, true fortified built-up areas dating back to the Iron age, that this area started having a crucial importance.
In the Roman Age the land was used for pasture: archeological finds and roman coins were found here, while graves dating back to the III Century were discovered in the surroundings of Cona.
Some permanent settlements date back to the Middle Ages: they were regulated by the “Regula Faeti”, a parchment from 1200 a.D kept in the national archive of Verona where Cangrande della Scala fixed the border of Sant’Anna d’Alfaedo.
In the first half of the 19th Century, the municipality of Cona merged with the municipality of Breonio. After the unification of Italy in 1861, the municipality was moved in Sant’Anna d’Alfaedo. In 1928, with the rerun of Fosse as municipality and the merger of Broenio with Fumane, the municipality of Sant’Anna d’Alfaedo officially exists.
Every year a wide range of events is offered. The season opens in May with the Festival of Cona and goes on with the Festival and the agricultural fair of Sant’Anna.
The agricultural fair of the cattle was born a lot of time ago; it was born in 1860 and it is held tree times a year: in May, in July and in September.
There are many more events: the “Guest’s party” in Fosse, the “Sagra del Carmine” in Giare, the traditional “Savana’s party” in Ceredo and “Saint Bartholomew’s celebration” in Ronconi. There are also new fairs such as “Beer festival”, the “Saint Benedict” on the Corno d’Aquilio and the “Festa degli alpini” in Corrubio in September.
Since 1961 in the municipality’s buildings of Sant’Anna d’Alfaedo took place the Natural history museum in which were kept and exposed some retrievals that were finding by explorers and speleologist.
The Paleontological and Prehistorical Museum was inaugurated in the present address in 1998. The new building was specifically built in the traditional way of the lessinian buildings, in the heart of the territory that gives back an amazing number of fossils and human traces.
The new centre has two distinct floors that origin two different section. The ground floor is dedicated to Prun’s stones and fossils that were finding in. On the first floor there is a section for the prehistoric times: here are displayed the findings collected in the Lessina’s Western side (Loffa Mountain).
In addition to the guide service, the Museum arranges workshops and walks in Lessinia and make the visitors aware of the territory’s beauty . In these workshops you can directly experience the creation and the use of the objects that are exposed in the museum.